VIDEO: Village Vanguard — The Very Early Years
– – –
Musings In Cb: The 9 Jazz Club Policies I Like
The Village Vanguard just went even higher in my esteem with these policies:
- We do not serve food. We haven’t served food here in 35 years. So if someone offers you a hamburger, check the expiration date.
- Using cell phones, cameras, iPads, androids, etc. during the music is both distracting and inconsiderate to your neighbors as well as the musicians performing. Here at the Vanguard, we strive for a device-free zone. It’s about experiencing the music, in the moment, at the club.
- We challenge you to remain hands-off your devices for the 75 odd (occasionally very odd) minutes of the set.
- NO VIDEOTAPING is permitted during performances.
- NO AUDIO RECORDING is permitted. Period.
- NO CELL PHONE USE of any kind.
- In accordance with New York State law, there is no smoking allowed in the club.
- During performances, QUIET IS ENFORCED. We’re a jazz club, not a chat room.
- NO PHOTOGRAPHY is permitted during performances.